Why did I take this job? It's impossible! Being the Director of All Things Special in a medium-size district is a 24/7 job. I know my desk is an iceberg, nay an ice field, and they forgot to issue me an icebreaker boat to navigate it. About every three weeks I get approximately 3 hours to do what is on my task list for that day. Other than that, the constant stream of phone calls, people who need a decision, and emails constantly interrupts me. Oh, and the superintendent wants another meeting. And the HR Director needs to discuss staffing. And the same parent that called yesterday is now calling with her attorney's name since I did not respond within twelve minutes. (my favorite message: "I've called you three times since yesterday morning and you have not called me back. That is SO inconsiderate.")
I started out sure that I could make everyone happy, that I could keep the parents, staff and my supe satisfied and aware that I was on the job. Well, that didn't last long, but most folks are still satisfied, at least that's how I read it when the number of complaints drops. Now my skin is thickening and my understanding of the work has improved to the point of not reading my composite of laws book just before sleep (generally that's at night, though not always). I've been at this job for 1 1/2 years.
So how do I balance work, family, and other interests, which include some kind of exercise to keep me from going all blubbery and reading anything that is not related to education? I realized before I actually started the job, after talking to several friends who are Directors, that the job could easily eat me alive. So I declared to myself, in the presence of my dog Myron and my wife, that I would leave my job every day at 5:30 and not bring work home or work weekends. After 1 1/2 years, I am still able to do that, and find myself working at home about 2 evenings a month. I have gone to the office on Saturday exactly three times. The result is that I am present for my family (and Myron) and have at least some time to do what else I want to.
This has been very difficult to maintain. The pressure to join more committees, to respond at once to all calls and emails, is huge. But I don't. Every day I prioritize and answer what I deem to be imminent. Then, at 5:30, I go home!
Monday, November 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment